HHS to conduct May 8 webinar on transgender health issues
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recently announced a webinar series titled Healthy People 2020 Spotlight on LGBT Health – and the first of these webinars will be focused on transgender health issues!
Date and time: Tuesday, May 8, 1PM Eastern
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
The webinar will feature various speakers from HHS and transgender health experts, including:
- Don Wright, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health (Disease Prevention and Health Promotion)
- JoAnne Keatley, MSW, Director of the Center for Excellence on Transgender Health
- Walter Bockting, PhD, Professor of Human Sexuality at the University of Minnesota
- Madeline Deutsch, MD, Director of the Transgender Health Program at the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center.
- AJ Pearlman from the Immediate Office of the Secretary of HHS
The webinar will also include an opportunity for questions and answers from participants.
At the Task Force, we have put a spotlight on transgender health issues. The Task Force and the National Center for Transgender Equality found in Injustice at Every Turn: A Report from the National Transgender Discrimination Survey some striking statistics about transgender health: 19% of transgender people reported being refused medical care due to their transgender status, with even higher numbers among transgender people of color, and transgender people have over four times the national rate of HIV infection. Moreover, over half of respondents to the survey had to teach their medical providers about transgender health care.
Register today for Healthy People 2020 Spotlight on LGBT Health: Transgender Health Issues