Catch up on âDonât Ask, Donât Tellâ
Yesterday was a big day for âDonât Ask, Donât Tellâ repeal. The Senate Armed Services Committee voted 16-12 to advance repeal as part of the Department of Defense authorization bill, then the full House of Representatives voted to attach identical repeal language as an amendment to the House bill. Several representatives gave moving floor speeches about repeal, including civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis, who you can watch above.
Donât fear if you didnât follow every second of the debate and vote, weâve got you covered.
- Speaker Pelosiâs office put video of several floor speeches up on YouTube. In addition to the video of Rep. John Lewis above, check out the speeches by Rep. Patrick Murphy, who sponsored the repeal amendment; Rep. Tim Walz, the highest ranking former service member in Congress; Democratic Leader Steny Hoyer; and Speaker Pelosi herself.
- If the videos arenât enough and you want to relive every minute of the House debate and vote, check out the Task Forceâs live-tweeting from last night.
- The Task Force released statements after each of the votes. Read Rea Careyâs comments on the Senate Committee vote here, and her comments on the House vote here.
- President Obama also released a statement late last night, saying of the votes that repeal will âmake our Armed Forces even stronger and more inclusive.â
- Finally, as Rea said in both statements and this Newsweek piece, yesterdayâs votes were important steps toward repeal, but the fight is far from over. The full Senate will vote on the Defense Authorization bill soon, and several senators including Sen. John McCain have already promised to filibuster to stop the vote.Â Your senators still need to hear your support for repeal. Dial 202.224.3121 and tell the switchboard you want to speak to your senators. Donât wait, take action today and urge your senators to support repeal.